British research group has tear trough study published in PRS

07 May 2020

Peer-reviewed medical journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open has published a study conducted by the Academic Aesthetics Mastermind Group (AAMG) on the safety of tear trough treatment.

The AAMG is an aesthetic medicine research group, founded by Dr Zoya Diwan and Dr Sanjay Trikha, and a finalist for The Clinetix Award for Professional Initiative of the Year at the Aesthetics Awards 2019.

The study was the first ever published by the group, and looked at the safety, complications and satisfaction for tear trough rejuvenation using hyaluronic acid dermal fillers.

It involved 22 women and two men who each had medial tear trough filler injected supraperiosteally using a cannula. In the follow-up appointments, 100% of patients noted an overall improvement to the tear troughs and 75% were satisfied with their results, while the other 25% required further filler treatment to be satisfied.

The authors concluded that if the procedure is performed using a cannula with a maximum of 1ml used in one sitting for both tear troughs, it is a safe treatment with a very low pain rating, no major complications and high patient satisfaction.

The study authors include AAMG chairs and founders Dr Diwan and Dr Trikha, as well as Dr Sepideh Etemad-Shahidi, Dr Zunaid Alli, Dr Christopher Rennie and Dr Amanda Penny.

Group chair and founder Dr Zoya Diwan said, “The AAMG aims to advance the field of aesthetic medicine through bringing together a community of experts working together on academic research to ultimately contribute to improved patient safety across the globe. We are delighted that we have published our first ever research paper as a group in the high impact Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open, focusing on tear trough treatments. We are working on more research projects to continue to help improve excellence, patient safety and academia within this industry.”

If practitioners wish to join the AAMG research group and publish papers within the field of aesthetic medicine, please email them here.

Comments

Log-in to post a comment