Leading cosmetic surgeon Dr Angelica Kavouni explains why radiofrequency is a vital tool when treating the eye area
Dr Angelica Kavouni is one of the UK’s most well-known, respected and requested female plastic surgeons, with more than 10 years of cosmetic private practice experience.1 Specialising in surgical procedures and aesthetic rejuvenating treatments, Dr Kavouni explains why Thermage FLX® has become a vital addition to her clinic. “Eye rejuvenation is something that is frequently requested by my patients. Whether it’s reducing dark circles or fine lines and wrinkles, the ageing eye is a common concern for both men and women,” says Dr Kavouni. With face masks now compulsory, there is more focus than ever on the eye area. “There is an increased focus on the eyes specifically to combat dark circles and puffiness,” she says, adding, “The emphasis has moved away from the mouth and the eyes have taken on a new importance. Patients are no longer looking at their face as one, they’re compartmentalising their eyes and noticing infinite detail the things that they would like to change.”
This is mainly due to the fact that the glabella and crow’s feet lines are some of the most visible lines of expression that contribute to the aged appearance of the face2 and are particularly accentuated by the severe stress associated with the pandemic.
Dr Kavouni emphasises, “The eyes are often an area that can show signs of ageing as the skin is typically thinner, more delicate and susceptible to structural changes around it, such as flattening of the midface fat pad, which can have a direct impact on its appearance. There are many modalities which we can use to improve various aspects of skin ageing, such as fillers or topicals for tear trough correction as well as of course, Thermage FLX® radiofrequency for the improvement of fine lines and wrinkles and to tighten lax skin.” Thermage FLX® offers an effective standalone treatment but it can also be used as a combination therapy for maximum results, Dr Kavouni explains. “Combining advanced medical skin care technology with cosmetic products performed as part of a sophisticated medical skin rejuvenation programme will boost the results by treating the multiple layers of the skin,”3 says Dr Kavouni.
Thermage FLX® is different to anything else available in the marketplace at the moment because it’s the only non-invasive radiofrequency treatment of its kind that requires a single treatment as opposed to a full course.4 Thermage FLX® is non-invasive so there is no surgery or injections. The procedure offers significant clinical improvement5 with few potential side effects and little downtime,6 so patients can quickly return to their normal routine. In addition, Thermage FLX® has demonstrated a good safety profile.5 The treatment can be used on all skin types and tones and can be done all year round. Thermage FLX® uses radiofrequency technology to heat the deeper, collagen-rich layers of the skin to offer a deep rejuvenation of tissues. Thermage FLX® works across the entire face, including the forehead, eyelids, jawline and the submental area, as well as on the arms, buttocks, abdomen and flanks and thighs. It can be used at different ages, in men and women.
2. Mendelson B.C, O’Brien J.X. (2016) The Aging Face. In: Scuderi N., Toth B. (eds) International Textbook of Aesthetic Surgery. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. pp 855-865.
3. Fabi S, et al. Combined aesthetic interventions for prevention of facial ageing, and restoration and beautification of face and body. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2017 Oct 30;10:423-429.
4. R. Fitzpatrick et al. Multicenter study of noninvasive radiofrequency for periorbital tissue tightening. Lasers Surg Med. 2003;33(4):232-42.
5. E. Finzi, A. Spangler. Multipass vector (mpave) technique with nonablative radiofrequency to treat facial and neck laxity. Dermatol Surg. 2005 Aug;31(8 Pt 1):916-22.
6. M. Fritz and al. Radiofrequency treatment for middle and lower face laxity. Arch Facial Plast Surg. Nov-Dec 2004;6(6):370-3.
7. Solta Medical, 2009. Report on Gazelle Clinical Study 09-100- GA-T ‘Validation of the Thermage 3.0 cm2 STC and DC Frame Tips, Comfort Software and Vibration Handpiece on the Face and Thighs’ (#09-019ER). Bothell.